Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sidelined, but not derailed

The first work out into my 5th week of P90X and I thought I was in the clear, "Pff, if nothing has happened to me yet, nothing is GOING to happen to me!". But, what did happen to me was a double whammy, combo punch in the form of allergies/cold/my head is going to explode and a horribly pulled muscle (or whatever connective tissue it is) that runs from my neck to in the inside of my collar bone. I spent Sunday and the better part of Monday wadded up in a tight little ball of pain, clutching my left arm into my chest like I had on an invisible sling. Then, yesterday afternoon, I went to see my fantastically magically wonderful chiropractor and she pushed and pulled and tested and retested and adjusted and readjusted until she was sure I was all lined back up and then forbade me from working out. And she is strong, so I listened to her. :) So last night, feeling very sorry for myself that I had missed out on TWO workouts in a row, when I have only missed ONE since the day I started, I crawled into bed. My energy was all off because I hadn't had my endorphin rush for two whole days! So thiiiiiiis is what it is like to be addicted to something! :) This morning I still felt like crap (but was no longer sore in my neck/collarbone/shoulder) and even lost my voice when I got home. Since my head was so stuffy, instead of doing Yoga X, which was my workout tonight, I subbed out for Core Synergistics which I knew would give me some cardio and work my whole body. I did the whole thing and finished strong, albeit hacking a little bit, so I feel better having finally done something. Two days of not working out a month ago would have been NORMAL. I would have felt so flipping virtuous because I had worked out at ALL and would have laid on my butt and eaten some ice cream as a reward. Instead, after 4 weeks of dedicating myself to this program, I was pining to get up and sweat! So, the point of my rambling is that while I was benched for a couple of days, I am not giving up and I am back in the game, ready to kick some ass. To paraphrase from one of my favorite movies: "Wounds heal, (dudes) dig scars, glory is forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment